The following text is from a rabbi friend of ours. As far as we know, the foreword is not available on the internet, which is why there is no link to that part.
It may seem counterintuitive that Israel would abuse its own. If anyone else treated Israeli girls with such disrespect for their religious views, it would be called anti-Semitism. So how can Israel get away with such blatant and open abuse?
Simple. The US supports and covers up all Israeli abuses and crimes, no matter how heinous. A major factor here is "Christian" Zionism, which essentially teaches that Isreal is a godly and infalible state because the Hebrews are God's chosen people. The Bible teaches just the opposite, showing in numerous passages that God was constantly punishing the Israelites for their disobedience. Nowhere does the Old Testament say that the Israelites had become obedient again. This is strictly an American Evangelical concept with no scriptural backing but lots of support from mega- and mini-pastors, but it is now a guiding concept of the current administration's Middle East policies, which are a disaster to say the least.
O LORD, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save!
After months of religious and traditional girls "on the periphery" suffering escalating harassment from the Army Draft Office, the Israeli paper "Mevaser" just published a story (on Jan. 29, '20) on the intensifying assault by the Army, in collaboration with the Israeli Supreme Court. For example, girls from smaller, "mixed," and outlying communities are increasingly being targeted for a "Rayon Dat," a Religiosity Test. They're also facing intimidation, harassment, and worse if they refuse. However, even appearing for such a Religiosity Interview is strictly prohibited according to Jewish Law. These "interviews" are specifically designed to convince, dupe, pressure, and even blackmail as many girls into the Army as possible. Enlisting in the Army is prohibited according to Jewish Law, due, in part, to the immoral exploitation of females that is part of the very fabric of the Army milieu.
Additionally, the Rayon Dat interview/interrogation is laden with particularly grave danger for girls with weaker religious backgrounds. Their vulnerabilities to drafting methods are assiduously exploited by the experienced military officers perpetrating those interrogations. Moreover, girls, often summoned at age 17, are prohibited from even bringing an attorney or a parent to a Rayon Dat. That very fact itself should be a cause for open rebellion of every religious and rightwing politician against the systemic corruption that has been enabling this antireligious policy.
The effect and goal of this policy and its escalating application in practice is to enlist more and more religious girls into the exploitative, immoral military. This advances the goal of the government to render females serving in the Army as if it were something compatible with religious observance.
Breaking News from Behind the Israeli Iron Curtain
4 Shvat, 5780 °° Jan. 30, '20 (v.2)
By Binyomin Feinberg,
To check for updates, on first view of this article, as well as throughout the week, please visit https://saveHischildren.blogspot.com -
or/and see updates for month of Teves '80:
1. Lital bas Miriam (https://daattorah.blogspot.com/2020/01/when-criminal-justice-is-truly-crimina.html), now languishing in Israeli Military Prison Four for about 17 days (since her arrest on Jan.13), had her hearing scheduled for yesterday (Wed., Jan. 29) delayed yet again, until next Tuesday, Feb. 4. That is essentially one more way of keeping an innocent religious young lady in military jail, under often brutal conditions (see above link) - without Due Process.
2. Moreover, the government is reportedly seeking to hit her with an outrageous 81 day prison sentence.
3. One would think the government would want to dispatch with this courageous Refusenik quickly. However, that will apparently only occur if concerned people continue to pressure the Israeli government, by exposing their ongoing abuse of this and other Refusenik girls (like Tal-Yah bas Rus and Yehudis Noah, see below).
4. To remind the readers, Lital's abuse by the Army was triggered by her agreement to submit to a Religiosity Interview (apparently in the absence of any warning about the prohibition and dangers involved) - NINE years ago.
5. In the wake of that meeting, the Army refused to honor her legal entitlement to an automatic religious exemption, on the pretext that she didn't answer a particular question pertaining to "Kriyas HaTorah," the ritual reading of the Torah (in the synagogue, with a quorum of ten adult males).
6. "Krias HaTorah" is an obligation incumbent on men, from which women are exempt, under Jewish Law (perhaps Maitav is more stringent that our Sages on this matter).
7. Thus, a girl seeking to secure her religious exemption should not be asked questions on that topic, period. Moreover, failure to answer such questions means precisely nothing, especially when it comes to questioning her religiosity.
8. The rank absurdity of this charade is somewhat ironic - in light of the fact that the primary exception to the exemption of women from the ritual reading of the Torah is the obligation to hear "Parshas Zachor" (D'varim 25:17-19, at the end of Kee-Saitzai). That brief section exhorts us about the obligation incumbent on all Jews to safeguard our timeless enmity towards Amalek, the embodiment of Evil for the sake of Evil, the ageless paradigm of Rebellion against G-d Himself. To be fair, the Draft Office (Maitav) should mandate asking questions about one of the most foundational texts on the subject of Amalek, being Rav Elchonon Wasserman, in his "Kovetz He'Oros" on Yevamos, Aggadah section, ch. 10, #1-6. A perusal of that essay will clarify precisely why Maitav would opt to recuse themselves from that "uncomfortable" topic, out of conflict of interest.
9. Recently, information on other incarcerated girls has trickled out, out of what has assumed the contours of the Iron Curtain, i.e. the Israeli military prison system, from which information is often very difficult to extract.
Yehudis Noah, a religious immigrant from France, has just recently been discovered to have been languishing in Prison Six, in the North -- for over TWO MONTHS! There, prisoners often suffer exposure to the cold over the winter months. Our current information is that, for some reason, her religious exemption was denied, and she was compelled to enlist. Within days, she was struck with the realization that it's impossible to remain faithful to Judaism in the Army, and therefore fled. Subsequently, she was apparently imprisoned for abandoning the very environment that compelled her to flee for her [spiritual] life.
10. Additionally, Tal-Yah bas Rus continues to be held in Prison Four, apparently for fleeing the Army. Reportedly, she's already been held for over a month and a half, and about 15 days ago she was sentenced to 35 days in military prison.
11. Outrages like this may, G-d forbid, continue - unless even more concerned Jews increase the pressure against the government (e.g., http://firstamendmentactivist.blogspot.com/2020/01/righteous-outrage-goes-international.html). Specifically, female demonstrations against the Israeli government drafting, harassment, incarceration, and persecution of female Refuseniks must be held at Israeli offices and events internationally, emphasizing the immoral nature of the female military draft. Their anti-exploitation message would resonate globally.
Please stay tuned for updates.