Vince Dhimos answered a question at Quora.
What is the future of potential superpowers and relationships between them and the USA?
Vince Dhimos Master's in Russian from Kutztown State University
The definition of “superpower” is misleading. While GDP is important, Russia is a big standout and exception. GDP is misleading too because, for example, the US
1) has a debt that is significantly greater than its annual GDP and that weakens it.
2) has an economy that is top heavy in services, and light in manufacturing relies on quantitative easing, ie, issuance of unbacked currency, every time it faces a crisis. This current pandemic, for example, is shaking the very foundations of its economy. Ex Morgan Stanley top economist Stephen Roach predicts a drop in the value of the USD by 30% next year thanks to this overprinting. By contrast, Russia has cash and gold reserves.
3) reports its prosperity in terms of stock prices, which is dishonest, particularly now that a stock bubble is being blown. When it pops, the losses will be horrendous. This is not power, just the opposite.
4) relies heavily on shale oil and gas, but these energy companies are going bankrupt right and left because their extraction is too expensive, and banks have started cutting back on the amounts they will lend to them. Russia still has cheaply extractable energy in its underground deposits.
5) relies too heavily on the fact that the dollar is the dominant world reserve currency. Deutsche Bank’s Asia specialist Shameer Goel, for example, says that sometime soon, thanks to the rampant printing of trillions and trillions of dollars by the Fed, the dollar could lose so much value as to be dethroned in favour of another currency. This new dominant currency could be, for example, the digital yuan.
While Russia has a modest GDP, it has none of the above disadvantages to hold it back. I have shown that Russia in fact has the most stable and healthy economy of all industrialized countries:
Another strange thing about Russia is that, while spending less on arms than the US and China, its arms are the most innovative in the world, and its armed forces intimidate the US like no other military anywhere. A video from Al-Masdar illustrates this.
Since I wrote and posted this, the video, originally posted at FaceBook, was taken down. What it showed was a US convoy in northern Syria confronted by a Russian patrol in which the Russian commander stops the convoy and says through an interpreter, “we are here by permission of Assad. Why are you here?” When the American officer can’t answer – because the Americans are there illegally – the Russian tells the American officer to leave, and the entire convoy turns around and heads back where it came from.
Here is the link to the story: https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/we-are-here-at-the-invitation-of-assad-why-are-you-here-russian-soldiers-confront-us-military-in-syria-video/
Now-defunct link that was live just hours ago:
Thus a companion story to this is that, as we see before us at this dead link, the cowardly US Establishment is busy eliminating information that would enable Americans to understand what is happening in the world around them because that information tells a truth that is bitter for an elite desperate to hide it from the people. What we are witnessing before us is nothing more nor less than a switching of the roles between the US and the USSR. You thought it was defunct. Raw ugly censorship is alive and well in the West as we write this and we are witness to it.
You don’t have to call Russia a superpower if you don’t want to. But the Pentagon knows exactly what it is and fears it. And what it fears is not so much the firepower but the righteousness of this country that dares to tell the truth, to go it alone knowing it is doing the right thing. In other words, true leadership in a leaderless world. It is the very righteousness of it that leaves the abject Western evil without a response. It's the big face-off.
My wife pointed out just this morning that, whereas in the past, rich and powerful criminals like Jeffrey Epstein invariably got away with their crimes in the past – because they were tied to the rich and powerful, even to US presidents – something wonderful is suddenly happening now that prevents them from thumbing their noses at the justice system and they are melting down, having run the full course of wickedness.
Perhaps they got too bold at the realization of their own power and impunity and went just a step too far. Perhaps they outraged people to the point that they refused to back down in the face of a system whose corruptness is too obvious to hide, and the angry empowered few pressed onward despite the danger and despite the odds. It’s possible that we in the West are now at that moment where we have hit bottom and there is no more down. Up is the only option. No longer able to swallow the pain and the outrage, we will no longer, can no longer, sit here and take it. Perhaps the revolts in US cities are a sign of this bigger, cumulative outrage. That is, it is no longer just a matter of racial inequality but a matter of the little guy no longer able to ignore the evil in the system as it closes in on us, and our only option is to fight. The system, caught red handed in its blatant depravity, has nowhere to go, no more lies left. I honestly don’t know exactly what it is, but I do know something big is happening and we are lucky to be here as it happens.
Just in: murder and home invasion in home of federal judge involved in Epstein-related case: https://www.wokv.com/news/son-us-district/ISZ3JNNEEEFR5NRFUTNLJV7W5Y/